"My opponent left a glass of whisky 'en prise' and I took it 'en passant". - Henry Blackburne | SINCE 2007

Tuesday, March 1, 2016

A visual Look At 2 Million Chess Games

I wanted to do something like this for a long time, and finally I think it's at a point where I can release this into the wild.
We'll take a look at more than 2 million games, taken from the MillionBasePGN database. I ignored any Chess960 games contained, but in total there are2,197,113 games. I was interested to see what kind of visualizations I can do, and what patterns would be revealed by considering so many games. It was the biggest collection of games I could find, spanning games from 1801 up to 2013, and players with ratings between 215 (wow!) to 2861 (I wonder who that is?). So I think it's a pretty good representation of chess games all around. Read More

No comments: